Sorry I have not been able to do this sooner. We just have had the Arctic Express barrel through western North Carolina for the past several days taking us to below ZERO where I am. I had to quickly learn how to turn off all water at our resort The Oaks before we had THOUSANDS of dollars worth of broken water pipes!
Here are some more quotes from my new mentor Henry David Thoreau:
1. “As with our colleges, so with a hundred “modern improvements”; there is an illusion about them; there is not always a positive advance.”
2. “A simple and independent mind does not toil at the bidding of any prince. Genius is not a retainer to any emperor, nor is its material silver, or gold, or marble, except to a trifling extent.”
3. “In short, I am convinced, both by faith and experience, that to maintain one’s self on this earth is not a hardship but a pastime, if we will live simply and wisely; as the pursuits of the simpler nations are still the sports of the more artificial.”
4. “I would not have any one adopt my mode of living on any account; for, beside that before he has fairly learned it I may have found out another for myself, I desire that there may be as many different persons in the world as possible; but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father’s or his mother’s or his neighbor’s instead.”
5. “We may not arrive at our port within a calculable period, but we would preserve the true course.”
6. “Above all, as I have implied, the man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off.”
Will have you a new Touchstone in my next post!