One VERY important aspect of XTREMEOWNERSHIP is LEAVING YOUR EGO OUTSIDE THE DOOR as my friend and co-founder of EST, the late Bill Thaw, use to say!
Former Navy SEAL officers and trainers Jocko and Leif stress this in their book Extreme Ownership. They give an example of trying to work with another SEAL team in Ramadi during the Iraqi War. This team was joining with them and the famous US Army Band of Brothers 506 in Ramadi.
Already Jocko had his SEAL team looking like the Band of Brothers so they could work together on the MISSION – military haircut, clean uniforms etc.
The new SEAL team refused to change wearing their dirty cutoffs and tees. They also refused to follow the orders of the Army whose base it was they were occupying. They made it extremely likely that there could be a “blue on blue” event where friendly fire wounded or killed each other because they would not share what they were doing!
This SEAL team had a HUGE EGO! It especially caused morale problems between them and the Army 506. Finally they were asked to leave and return to their previous base.
They could have been a HUGE asset in the fighting at Ramadi but they refused to park their EGOS OUTSIDE THE DOOR!
Yes there will be bruised EGOS but as Jocko and Leif say: THE MISSION IS THE TOP PRIORITY!
More in next post!
In the previous post we learned that as a LEADER you have to take FULL responsibility of explaining the WHY of the mission to your team.
Here is what Jocko Willink, co-author and former SEAL officer says in Extreme Ownership:
“The leader must explain not just what to do, but why. It is the responsibility of the subordinate leader to reach out and ask Why? if they do not understand. Only when leaders at ALL (my emphasis) levels understand and believe in the mission can they pass that understanding and belief to their teams so that they can persevere through challenges, to execute the mission and win.”
We must do this too if we are to WIN and save ourselves in the USA!
I learned from Jocko, the former SEAL officer, that when ORDERS are sent down from on high it is not your option to question them or argue them but FOLLOW them!
Jocko was given the order that from now on when his SEAL team went out in Ramadi Iraq he had to take the ragtag untrained Iraqi soldiers with him!
His first reaction was – “Like hell I will! This is total BS! These idiots will f-ckup the mission and even get my fellow SEALs killed!”
As he began to think the orders through he realized that those in command were not going to change their minds because they knew that if we – the US – did not start training these Iraqi soldiers then the US would be there for generations fighting!
Jocko also realized that his SEAL team were the ONLY answer to wiping out the well armed and trained insurgents. He also realized that he could only carry out this mission with Iraqi soldiers tagging along!
When he shared this with his fellow SEALs they had the same reaction he had initially; when Jocko also shared the reason it had to be done this way his men reluctantly agreed.
Actually Jocko found that during the urban fighting the Iraqi soldiers served several GOOD purposes: they knew how to QUIETLY take out doors to buildings without explosives and they recognized hidden insurgents by their dialects and mannerisms!
Here is what Jocko: “In order to convince and inspire others to follow and accomplish a mission, a leader must be a true believer in the mission. Even when others doubt and question the amount of risk, asking, ‘Is it worth it?’ the leader must believe in the greater cause.”
More in next post!
In their Extreme Ownership former US Navy SEALS Jocko and Leif say that the second aspect of SEAL training demonstrates that there are NO BAD TEAMS ONLY BAD LEADERS!
They give the example of two LEADERS of boat crews in Hell Week at Coronado when Leif was in charge of the training. Team 2 is kicking ass while Team 6 is looking like a washout.
Team 6’s LEADER is yelling and cursing at his team members for continuing to come in last! When asked to explain he BLAMES his fellow team members and gives EXCUSES. He is NOT exhibiting XTREMEOWNERSHIP!
Team 2’s LEADER is the epitome of XTREMEOWNERSHIP – he takes charge and SUPPORTS his team. He takes FULL RESPONSIBILITY and that leads to win after win for Team 2!
Leif decides to change the LEADER of 6 with the leader of 2. So what happens?
Team 2 still wins but NOT because of its new leader but because of what its previous leader instilled in his team! Team 6 begins to move from last place to second place! It is because of their new leader instilling his XTREMEOWNERSHIP mindset into them that he had previously taught Team 2
This is what we are lacking in the USA – XTREMEOWNERSHIP! We have our leaders in both government and business using EXCUSES and BLAME and NOT taking FULL RESPONSIBILITY! Unfortunately we see it on personal levels too!
We will only get America back on track when we take XTREMEOWNERSHIP and FIRE BAD LEADERS!
Today I want to share about XTREMEOWNERSHIP as I learned from former US Navy SEAL officers Jocko Willink & Leif Babin.
Both were officers and commanders at the worst urban combat and battle in SEAL history – Ramadi in Iraq. Ramadi was s true fire fight of going door to door! You may not find it because my copy of the book is a advance uncorrected proof!
Extreme Ownership is a SEAL term and is the same as President Harry Truman’s famous quote: “THE BUCK STOPS HERE!” SEALs take FULL responsibility for what happens on a mission! NO ifs, buts, are allowed!
We have become a nation practicing VICTIMHOOD and NOT XtremeOwnership!
Yes as you will see I have changed the header to a wonderful piece of art featuring my ancestors – THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR!
I have added an excellent book to RESOURCES written by Helen Nicholson who is a recognized expert on the Templars.
I will be posting here more often in the future!
You most likely can finish this time honored saying: FLOCK TOGETHER!
This applies both POSITIVELY and NEGATIVELY.
Let’s start with the NEGATIVE and I am going to give you an example from own experience.
Remember in the last post we talked about BSers. Well a friend, who is the poster child for USA BSer as I have come to find out, recommended me to help market this resort you may remember I have been working on selling since before Christmas. It belongs to his long time going back to the teens friend.
I should have realized that if my other friend is the poster child for USA BSer, then there is a better than 90% chance he is one too! Sure enough he kept putting off about paying me for the work I have done trying to get his place even SELLABLE! I am an EXPERT at doing this as I know what potential clients want! He and his partner have NO clue how to market and sell this business! (BTW he has FINALLY paid me!)
Now for the POSITIVE angle. Are you aware that your INCOME is determined by the FIVE people you associate with the majority of the time? This is NO BS as numerous well known self help gurus say it all the time.
So in my case if I want to be a DECAMILLIONAIRE I have to associate with DECAMILLIONAIRES OR MORE! Several of my clients/friends qualify.
So FLOCK with EAGLES not TURKEYS!
I am sick and tired of dealing with the BS artists both on a personal and business level! America especially has become a Nation of BSers! Politicians do it. Companies do it. Advertisers do it. The news media does it. Clients do it. Ministers and rabbis do it. Friends and family do it.
My parents taught me to WALK MY TALK and that HONESTY on ALL levels was the MOST important trait you could possess! It was way more important than MONEY!
My grandfather was a MILLIONAIRE builder in the 20s before The Depression, when he lost it all. My Mom said her Dad would make MILLION DOLLAR handshakes with clients and EVERYONE kept their part of the deal!
Today if you are STUPID enough (like I have been in the past) to believe that a HANDSHAKE is still a sign of HONESTY then you deserve what happens to you and me!
Before you do ANYTHING for a client get a LEGAL CONTRACT! I use Legal Shield previously known as Prepaid Legal. No I am NOT a marketer for it. If they do NOT want to sign it RUN as fast as you can from them!
Word to the WISE: walk YOUR talk but do NOT trust others to walk theirs! Also as my mentor, Donald Trump, says: SUE THE BASTARDS!
I am starting a YouTube series that will be called NOT WALKING THE TALK. Look for it. Follow my example and add your experiences with BSers and LIARS! If you have been screwed over then let the world know who is the guilty party. Just make sure you can back up your claim! Help this campaign to go viral!
1. “To read well, that is, to read true books in a true spirit, is a noble exercise, and one that will task the reader more than any exercise which the customs of the day esteem. It requires a training such as the athletes underwent, the steady intention almost of the whole life to this object. Books must be read as deliberately and reservedly as they were written.”
2. “A written word is the choicest of relics. It is something at once more intimate with us and more universal than any other work of art. It is the work of art nearest to life itself. It may be translated into every language, and not only be read but actually breathed from all human lips;—not be represented on canvas or in marble only, but be carved out of the breath of life itself.”
3. “Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations. Books, the oldest and the best, stand naturally and rightfully on the shelves of every cottage. They have no cause of their own to plead, but while they enlighten and sustain the reader his common sense will not refuse them. Their authors are a natural and irresistible aristocracy in every society, and, more than kings or emperors, exert an influence on mankind.”
4. “It is time that we had uncommon schools, that we did not leave off our education when we begin to be men and women. It is time that villages were universities, and their elder inhabitants the fellows of universities, with leisure—if they are, indeed, so well off—to pursue liberal studies the rest of their lives.”
1. “When we are unhurried and wise, we perceive that only great and worthy things have any permanent and absolute existence, that petty fears and petty pleasures are but the shadow of the reality. This is always exhilarating and sublime.”
2. “But all these times and places and occasions are now and here. God himself culminates in the present moment, and will never be more divine in the lapse of all the ages.
3. And we are enabled to apprehend at all what is sublime and noble only by the perpetual instilling and drenching of the reality that surrounds us. The universe constantly and obediently answers to our conceptions; whether we travel fast or slow, the track is laid for us. Let us spend our lives in conceiving then.”
4. “Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it; but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains.”
5. “I do not wish to be any more busy with my hands than is necessary. My head is hands and feet. I feel all my best faculties concentrated in it.”